Maad Al Balushi
Tel No: +968 9695 9996
Litigation and Arbitration
Corporate and Commercial
Maad Al Balushi is an Associate at MAQ Legal who is experienced in corporate and commercial, banking and finance and dispute resolution (litigation and arbitration) matters with his main focus being in arbitration. Maad advises and assists clients on multiple transactions including drafting acquisition agreements, Islamic Finance documents, facility agreements and corporate documents. Maad also advises on incorporation of companies, setting up investment funds and drafting statements of case in arbitration and litigation disputes. Maad has acted for clients in proceedings in Oman Primary Court and numerous international arbitrations conducted under ICC and UNCITRAL rules. He also advises clients in relation to alternative dispute resolution methods, including mediation and adjudication.
- Advised and represented a top tier international firm on enforceability of a foreign arbitral award in the Sultanate of Oman.
- Advised a private conglomerate on a multimillion dollar international arbitration relating to recovery of amounts under an infrastructure construction contract.
- Advised and assisted Oman Investment Authority (formerly, State General Reserve Fund) on setting up an Infrastructure Fund, reviewing the prospectus, drafting and reviewing corporate documents and ensured regulatory compliance.
- Assisted the Government of Oman on the establishment of its GMTN programme and updates to the same.
- Advising the Government of Oman on the establishment of its international sukuk issuance programme and subsequent updates.
- Assisted Total Group in relation to its corporate restructuring in Oman and various projects being undertaken by it in the oil & gas sector in Oman.
- Advised on the nullification of arbitral award in the Sultanate of Oman.
- Advised Muscat Overseas LLC on the restructuring of its OMR 77,000,000 Debt via a Margin Facility Agreement and assisted in drafting and reviewing all relevant documents.
- Drafted and reviewed various commercial mortgages and supplemental mortgages for clients.
- Assisted a Dubai based client on the acquisition of an Insurance company in Oman. Maad assisted in drafting the Share Purchase Agreement and conducting the legal due diligence.
- Advised Barka Desalination Company with regards to an Initial Public Offering of 30,208,800 shares on Muscat Stock Exchange (MSX).
- Advised clients on various litigation matters, including labour, recovery and commercial disputes.